Saturday, July 22, 2006

Possible reasons for my celibacy

I'm celibate. It's something people really don't understand when you tell them. Being gay or straight they can understand, but having no interest in sex seems completely alien and they assume I'm either lying or something is wrong with me psychologically.

I won't argue that there's something wrong with me psychologically, in fact I wonder if my lack of interest in sex in general has psychological roots, but I'd be wrong to entirely discount the role of the Mormon church when it comes to me not expressing any sort of interest in what is one of the strongest instincts in any sort of animal. There's probably additional irony in that the animal I use for my screen name, like humans, is one of the few that will have sex for fun.

(The Sinister Porpoise although on hiatus would like to remind you all he doesn't share Melanie's opinions or proclivities in this area.)

In fact, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is one of the few where it's expressly implied that men are to remain virgins before marriage and will get lessons of indoctrination that may or may not, like it did to me, leave me afraid of the act itself and viewing it as a dirty thing. I don't know if that's the only reason I have no interest, but it certainly is a major factor in my decision not to seek romantic partners. I think it's also a subconscious desire to avoid the sort of relationship my parents had. I suppose Freud would have a field day with me, but then any psychologist or psychiatrist could write a ground breaking book on my family in general.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home