Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Making quick decisions

I'm suffering from the October blahs. True, it's been sunny for the last few days but I just feel like all I want to do is sleep or hibernate until the next spring. Those few who know how I sleep would probably not be surprised if I actually did manage to hibernate for several months.


Believe it or not, there are ways around this, but I'm not sure if that's what is needed. I've made efforts to cut down on what I eat, and of course, with the reduction of calories comes a reduction of energy until your body adjusts. On the other hand, it may indeed just be a reduction in the amount of sunlight I'm getting. I may need to change my tactics a bit because I find I've been excessively cranky without any really good reason to be so.


I don't know, I guess like anything else we need to experiment a bit before we find out what's really going on. Now, if you've been following this blog at all, you usually know that about midway through my preamble I somehow manage to make a point and connect it to whatever issue I wished to discuss.


Too often we want to rush into things without any reservation when it comes to religion, a new job, or any form of sexuality. I'm not sure it's entirely human nature. In this case, I think it's a matter of a lifestyle centered around getting things now. I know I'm especially guilty of this.


Taking things slowly and cautiously when you're facing big decisions as a good thing. Any change that can affect your life longterm should not be considered incautiously. Too often we barge into thing without considering the effects to ourselves. We especially often forget that our actions have consequences for others as well. I don't know why the second part of that should be the case, but it's the most important aspect of any major action and the most easily forgotten. I think it's because our thinking patterns are naturally self-centered.


I don't know how things are going to go. I hid it for so long and I'm afraid when I do find the courage to come out I'll proceed far too quickly rather than give people time to adjust to the idea. In some ways, I wish I had not told my mother what I found out about the Mormons. I don't know if that caused her to go into her manic phase that time, but if she bought the line the church fed her, she might have felt it was her fault that her son (who she never knew wanted to be her daughter) fell into apostasy. (On the other hand, I do not blame myself for this because I'm not sure that's what happened. Even if it was, it is too late to change anything about it now.)


If you're making a decision that will be needed save someone's life, by all means do it quickly. If you're in the process of making a decision that will affect your life and the others long term take the time to think it out and be absolutely sure and you can e-mail me for being a hypocrite for the times I haven't done this if you wish.

By the way, tomorrow is Wednesday. That means not only is it "Say What You Really Feel at Work" Day, it means the posts will not be as serious and we can look forward to The Sinister Porpoise chiming in with his wisdom again.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home