Monday, October 17, 2005

Fact and Belief

Sorry for being a little late with the updates yesterday, but I suppose it won't matter. At least I'm not an online cartoonist who has to put up with people e-mailing me every time I don't put up a comic when they expect it. In any case, for as long as this blog has been up, my writings have been somewhat prolific.

In any case if during the next few days I delay them any, it's not because I'm being lazy but rather because I'm upgrading this computer's hard drive and switching over from Windows ME to the more secure and stable Windows XP. (Of course, as a true computer guru, if I was really all that concerned about security and didn't care about compatibility I'd switch over to some flavor of Unix.)

I guess it should not take me so long to get to a point, but I have not decided what today's point should be yet. I thought about addressing loyalty, but I didn't really have anything to say on it that related to the overall topic of this blog.

I suppose I'm still suffering in any early morning fog even though it's about 11:00 a.m. where I live as I'm writing this. (Okay, so I don't keep a morning schedule and I've seen far more sunsets than sunrises.) And as of yet, I have not made a coherent or consistent point. In fact, I don't think I actually have one. Of course, I'm not sure that I ever actually do have one, but at least I hope I do.

The funny thing is life is like that though. We stumble around in the dark until something finally clicks in us – if it ever does. For some of this, it may never come. Life, I've been told, is a test. Unfortunately, it's the kind of test you can't really study for because if we have existed before now, we don't remember it. It makes me wonder how we'll be graded at the end sometimes since the rules seem to be ridiculously stacked. Maybe it's a pre-test like you take the PSAT's before you take the SATs. (If you're out West, I don't know what they use in place of the PSAT for the ACT.)

Even though something has clicked for me, I can never be truly sure if I'm right. That's the problem with spiritual issues. There's no real “empirical” data for us to make decision on. We all have to use anecdotal evidence and faith to either believe or not believe as we have chosen.

At times I have to ask myself, "Why bother if this is the case?" Wouldn't it be easier to just say there is no point and it's all in my imagination? Well, of course it would be.I understand there's a difference between belief and fact. Facts are dull, cold, lifeless things and in most cases they don't make life worth living. Beliefs may or may not be true, but they provide a navigation system on your life and help you strive for something greater. I don't care which belief system it is. Even some I personally disagree with – like Thelema – have good points.

1 Comments:

At Mon Oct 17, 06:15:00 PM 2005 , Blogger Becca said...

There are so many viable paths of belief out there, and, hey, if it's making you and the world a better place, then hurray.

And congratulations on graduating to XP. Someday we should all be computer savvy enough to use Unix based systems.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home