Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Root of the Problem

If you suffer from any kind of mental health problem and have been through any kind of therapy for it, you know your counselor will ask you many questions. Unlike a physical condition wherethe doctor determines what ails you, psychology uses a series of questions and the parts of the story you share to lead you to a self-diagnosis.

This is probably part of the reason why psychological recovery is such a long process. (I also entertain the notion that it helps keep psychologists in business.) You are an active participant in your own diagnosis. What good is any sort of this type of healing if you can not be honest with your therapist or yourself with what your problems are?

Sure, mine knew about my anxiety and depression, but when she turned to subject of any sort of sexuality, whatever progress I seemed to have made disappeared and the complete lack of comfort with who I really am returned. Instead, I lied to her and to myself. You see, I didn't want it to be true. How is any therapist supposed to help you when you do this? (Forgive me for switching from first to second person here.)

I realize my mistake now, but is the gender disconnect the cause of my anxiety or something on top of it? She's hinted several times at Asperger's Syndrome (which would explain my lack of motor skills), and while I've read about it, I just don't see many of the symptoms. I fit more into the avoidant type.

Sigh. I'll have to draw my own conclusions.

2 Comments:

At Thu Oct 06, 03:10:00 PM 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me know you had problems reading my blog, I appreciate your honesty. I ask my friends and family what they think and they all tell me how great it is. I think their scared to tell me what they really think, don't you hate that?
If you have any other suggestions please let me know and if there is anything I can do for you, let me know.

 
At Thu Oct 06, 05:27:00 PM 2005 , Blogger The Sinister Porpoise said...

Your problem is with your background. You don't want to choose a background that will obscure text. I'd recommend upping the font size of the comments also, they're too small to read well.

As far as the rest goes, I think the overuse of pictures with seemingly no rhyme was intentional fitting the theme of your site.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home