Wednesday, November 29, 2006

What? All this and talk of peace?

     The Christmas season once again descends upon us and it looks like those who engaged in the Blog Everyday contest will soon be relieved of their burden.  I did not engage in this merely because I knew the quality of my writing would suffer if I had to blog everyday. I've tried it in the past. I can do it if I have something to talk about, but I cannot do it if there is nothing I want to write about.  (Perhaps I should engage in Cynthia Bagley's writing exercises as she is right that blogging has rekindled my interest in writing. Now if something could be done to restore my desire to code.)
 
     But I got an e-mail from someone who shall remain anonymous (and I have not answered his other question, but while someone related to me does post here from time to time, I am not related to anyone in Outer Blogness.) hoping that I'd find peace with myself.  A number of Outer Blogness posts in November seemed to deal with the same subject.

      If we seek peace, are we not missing the point of our spiritual pursuits or our quests for personal growth?  Call it what you will, but I thought the point was to make yourself a better person.   People often go on about the benefits of how their religion brings them peace or joy (the peace part seems absent in Mormonism, and if the use of anti-depressants is as high as to be believed, most of the "joy" comes from prescription medication.)

    It seems to me that peace should be a side effect of the journey, not the goal in and of itself, as whatever path the journey takes you on, you will struggle along it and you'll not always be at the inner peace that the others think they are trying to achieve.

      It is a struggle, but cannot it not be said that the struggle is more important than the brief moments of rest you find along the way?

5 Comments:

At Fri Dec 01, 01:34:00 PM 2006 , Blogger Sideon said...

Well said, Sinister Porpoise.

 
At Fri Dec 01, 07:13:00 PM 2006 , Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

I like your pointing out that it's not necessarily the peace we should focus on, rather the journey.

Great writing.

 
At Wed Dec 06, 07:34:00 AM 2006 , Blogger Stephen said...

If you've ever read twelve step literature, the sort of peace most people mean is serenity, not cessation.

 
At Wed Dec 06, 07:49:00 PM 2006 , Blogger The Sinister Porpoise said...

Welcome to my blog, Stephen. I see you've linked to the bloggernacle on your own blog, which makes me question why you'd come here.

To answer your question, no, I have not read the twelve step literature and I'm only vaguely familiar with the programs to begin with.

Even so, I maintain that serenity in and of itself should not be the goal of our spiritual pursuits, but merely a side effect of following it.

 
At Thu Dec 07, 02:19:00 AM 2006 , Blogger Bishop Rick said...

Have to agree with the porpoise on this one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home