Tuesday, September 05, 2006

An Odd Question

Since many of us Ex-Mormon and otherwise are amatuer Mormon theologians, I put forth the following question: Do I still hold the preisthood?

Yes, those of us who have done the research know the church is a fraud and it's unlikely that I have any real authority from God, but follow my logic on this. Leaving the church according to the exit letter we receive cancels the Blessings of Baptism. This is, according to my understanding, contrary to Christian doctrine. However, the Priesthood ordinations aren't a result of the blessings of Baptism, and if I remember the Aaronic Priesthood lessons correctly cannot be revoked from a person once given.

So, the question is, even though we're apostates, can we still perform Priesthood ordinances? I ask this simply because according to one little book I took home with me from my brief time in the Navy, Priests can participate in exorcisms. (I still wish I had this little red booklet. It came with the 'service set' of scriptures.)

If so, are there any fellow apostates who want to get together and perform, I don't know, an exorcism on Boyd K. Packer? I can think of a few other worthy Mormon apostles who seem to be possessed. Maybe we can even get the spirit of the former public relations/advertising professional who seems to inhabit the body of the current prophet.

4 Comments:

At Tue Sep 05, 03:34:00 PM 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say that whatever authority an ex-mormon may possess, it is neither recognized by the LDS Church nor by the god of the LDS Church.

An exorcism would be fun though. We could perform it by the authority of Hades. Then when these men die, as all men do, we can claim it as evidence of the potency of our priesthood. We need only faith in nature and patience.

In the mean time we can exorcise the ideas that these men teach with the authority of our own words.

Here's to casting out devils.

 
At Tue Sep 12, 04:04:00 PM 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that unless the spirit of heaven seals something in heaven it isn't sealed on earth.

This works the other way. Let's just assume the priesthood IS true in the LDS church, well then the question of if you have it or not isn't up to the church, but up to the Holy Spirit. The instituation may have exed you, but unless the Holy Spirit of promise seals this you DO still have your priesthood.

So exorcisms would work. Using it to baptise or something wouldn't cause of the lack of keys. Your mormon nerd friend - Guard

 
At Tue Sep 12, 08:46:00 PM 2006 , Blogger The Sinister Porpoise said...

I was not excommunicated. I left of my own free will.

Guard, all you need to log in to *this* and any other Blogger beta blog is a Google account.

 
At Sat Sep 16, 08:37:00 PM 2006 , Blogger Guardiands said...

ohh thank you. :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home