Thursday, August 10, 2006

Okay, it's time for a startling revelation....

 If there's one thing in my life, I've been more than open about, it's my left-handedness.  I actually enjoy being left-handed even if it does mean I have to put up with a variety of right-handed equipment I can't actually use properly.  Most people assume this is due to my innate clumsiness rather than poor design.   They can't actually fathom that there is actually a difference between how a left and right handed knife would be constructed for example.


 Now, I realize this won't come as a shock to anyone who realizes what the origins of the word sinister actually are, but the name The  Sinister Porpoise is actually intended to mean an evil-minded dolphin as the words imply rather than one who favors the opposite flipper. 


Why am I now choosing to reveal my left-handedness?  Well, if you've read this blog before, you know it's not the first time I've done so. I've been out of the closet when it comes to my hand preference for years.   It's not like I have to walk down the street and worry about someone trying to beat up that left-handed freak.  Most people wouldn't know even if I were writing right in front of them.  (It seems only other left-handed people will notice if someone's writing with their left-hand, I wonder why that is.)


 I guess I better get to the point as quickly as I can here.  August 13th is International Left-Handers Day.   It's a holiday I wish more people would celebrate.   Sure, you may not think it's a big deal, but chances are you've never been banned from doing a school newspaper layout because someone bought really cheap scissors that wouldn't cut when used in the left-hand.


 It's not a day of appreciation, but right handers can take the time and realize all the little crap that southpaws go through that generally adds up to mostly minor frustration.  Most sinistrals learn to deal with this, but I have in the past came across one blog entry from someone who injured their right hand and realized that most equipoment really isn't designed with left-handed use in mind.  Reading his rant was entertaining, because he had discovered something I'd known for years.  Fortunately, as a natural-born lefty, I'm more adaptable and can deal with it.  Let's face it, you have to be.  This guy could go back to his comfortable world as soon as his hand healed, but the sinistral lives with being 90 degrees out of phase with the rest of the world all his life.


So, feel free to go pick up a pair of left-handed scissors, corkscrew, can opener, watch (hmmm... why are these always ridiculously more expensive than their counterparts?  It isn't that difficult to put the button on the other side.), toothbrush, or bowling ball for that special southpaw in your life.   Personally, if you choose me, I'd prefer cash to purchase such items, and will gladly accept donations via Paypal.


Powered by Qumana


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home