Friday, November 07, 2014

Attempting to forego bread and other staples of the Western Diet...

I am going to try going gluten free.  For many years, I have been skeptical of this trend. Cutting out wheat is not healthier for people who do not have Celiac Disease, and the scientific evidence does not fully support non-celiac gluten sensitivity.  My skepticism of this trend will remain even if I am willing to try it. However, I have made this decision out of desperation.  My doctor jumped to fibromyalgia after only taking an X-ray, and I am just as skeptical of his diagnosis.  Choosing to go gluten free for a while will not harm me, and it might help.

An outside observer would probably ask why I think it might help, especially if I have no evidence that a wheat allergy contributes to my symptoms. Fibromyalgia treatment is a guessing game in itself, and since my primary care physician has not ruled out anything, it might be Celiac disease. Of course, it also might be any variety of fun things.  Lyme disease, thyroid dysfunction, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and Lupus can all start with similar symptoms.* (As a House fan, I know it’s not Lupus.)

Two people said I should go gluten free, and I know they mean well. My sister told me it helped with her achiness when I asked her about it. Now, I’m not sure if I’d describe the times when I was crying from the pain as achiness, but she might have. I hope she is not disappointed if her diet alteration does not work. The only way it would work is if I have a wheat allergy, but if it does not provide any relief, I can return to my normal diet.

Now, I do not expect anything from this, and it is important for the well-meaning people who suggested it to understand that removing gluten from my diet is not a panacea.  What worked for them may not work for me.


*I also know that worrying about all of this makes me feel like a hypochondriac. I choose to believe the doctor’s diagnosis because it's the most likely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home