Friday, May 05, 2006

The Search for Answers

I realize I have not posted in a while. But when I came back and looked at the traffic log, I realized there were still people visiting this site. While it is not a lot of people, it has been a steady stream. For now, I'm going to return to the purposes of this blog as much as I am able.

One of the main reasons this was started had to do with my own search for answers in a rather confusing situation. I had gone through my own crisis of faith nearly a year before starting this site. If you have read it, you know what my issues with one particular religion are.

Yet I do not discredit religion as invalid and outdated. Faith is a powerful force and adds so much meaning to our lives. Whether this be faith in science or religion it does not matter. We use that faith to guide our lives.

I study religions because belief fascinates me. A lot of them have good points. Some I disagree with on key points, but the study has helped me have a better understanding of where other people are coming from. I still may make mistakes like wishing a Jewish person a Happy Yom Kippur. (I think I only did this once, folks, and thankfully, the person in question was willing to put up with me, partly because we got along well and he found my stories about the Mormons fascinating, if not believable.)

Even so, with the study, the one question that comes to mind is: How do you know which one is right? We are bombarded with conflicting ideas every day of our lives. I suppose my method is still akin to "feeling the spirit", but the problem with feeling the spirit is the spirit isn't tied to any particular religion.

Although I've found the Tao Te Ching to be an incredible book and I think it has many things correct, it will have to remain in the section of the brain that deals with beliefs and thoughts that aren't rational. The nice thing is, since Taoism is a philosophy, I can incorporate it and have no problems practicing another religion if that is my choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home